FORMER ANC Nelson Mandela Bay Councillor Andile Lungisa will on Thursday begin his two-year jail sentence.
Lungisa was sentenced to three years, with one year suspended with conditions.
The former ANC councillor has been found guilty of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm after he attacked a DA councillor Rano Kayser during a scuffle in the NMB council in 2016.
The National Prosecuting Authority said Lungisa has applied to appeal his sentence to the Constitutional Court.
However, the NPA says it will oppose the appeal.
Lungisa’s bail application is set to be heard on 21 September 2020.
His application to the Constitutional Court comes after the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed Lungisa’s appeal against his sentence.
The Supreme Court said the assault had been of a life-threatening nature and that the former Councillor had not only behaved in a manner unbecoming of his status, but failed to take responsibility for his actions.
The NPA said Lungisa was expected to report to the clerk of the court at Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court by noon on Thursday, to commence serving his two-year prison sentence.
(COMPILED BY INSIDE METROS STAFF)