By Levy Masiteng
The death toll from severe flooding in Limpopo and Mpumalanga has risen to 31, with 11 confirmed deaths in Limpopo, including a five-year-old child, and 20 in Mpumalanga, according to provincial authorities.
The toll was confirmed by the Mpumalanga Department of Cooperative Governance, Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA) and the Limpopo Provincial Government.
The floods, which started during the Christmas period, have left widespread destruction in their wake, forcing families from their homes and crippling essential infrastructure.
In Limpopo, more than 1,600 homes have been damaged or destroyed, while over 1,000 homes were destroyed in Mpumalanga.
During a media briefing on Friday, Limpopo Premier Phophi Ramathuba said 31 schools were damaged, and several clinics and hospitals have been affected, with lives being lost.
“We have sadly lost 11 lives, and we convey our deepest condolences to the affected families,” she said.
The provincial government estimated the damage to exceed R4 billion, with 439 roads requiring repairs.
“So far, 439 roads have been identified as requiring repairs, including critical national routes such as the R527, R40, R71, R36, R578, R526, R529 and R524,” Ramathuba said
The flooding started on 25 December in the Waterberg and Capricorn Districts and escalated as heavy rains spread to Vhembe, Mopani and Sekhukhune.
In Mpumalanga, preliminary assessments showed that four households in Ehlanzeni required immediate relocation, while eight households in Gert Sibande needed temporary residential units.
CoGTA Minister Velenkosini Hlabisa is expected to visit affected areas in Mpumalanga on Saturday to assess the damage.
The areas to be visited include Hlabisa, Hoxane, Kiepersol, Mkhuhlu and Wales in the Bushbuckridge Local Municipality.
INSIDE METROS
