19.7 C
Johannesburg
- Advertisement -

ActionSA Ekurhuleni mayoral candidate Xolani Khumalo granted bail

- Advertisement -

Must read

By Johnathan Paoli

ActionSA’s Ekurhuleni mayoral candidate, Xolani Khumalo, has been granted R2 000 bail following his arrest on charges of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and pointing of a firearm.

Khumalo appeared before the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday afternoon after voluntarily handing himself over to the SAPS station in Katlehong.

Speaking outside court following the bail ruling, ActionSA spokesperson Lerato Ngobeni criticised the handling of the case, accusing the state of attempting to keep Khumalo in custody on what she described as technical grounds.

“What is appalling about this is that Xolani is a law-abiding citizen who is fighting for the people of South Africa, and of Ekurhuleni in particular, against drugs that are being peddled by nefarious individuals,” Ngobeni said.

In a statement, Khumalo welcomed the court granting him bail, but maintained that his arrest was an attempt to undermine efforts to turn the municipality around.

“Today’s events are a deliberate distraction from the real work of restoring dignity and safety to residents abandoned by an incompetent and corrupt government, with news reports today once again revealing the extent of the criminal capture of Ekurhuleni,” Khumalo said.

The charges stem from a police raid conducted last year at the Katlehong residence of a suspected drug dealer.

During the operation, law enforcement officers reportedly seized unlicensed ammunition, with Khumalo present at the scene.

ActionSA has claimed that although the suspect was initially arrested, he was later released without appearing in court and that the confiscated ammunition was allegedly returned.

The party further alleges that the suspect subsequently laid a false assault charge against Khumalo.

Ngobeni claimed the investigating officer went missing, contributing to delays in proceedings, saying the officer sought to turn the matter into a technical dispute over the verification of Khumalo’s residential address.

She questioned why Khumalo was initially denied release, despite his address being known and his wife providing the necessary details when requested by the magistrate.

Ngobeni raised concerns about the earlier release of the alleged drug dealer, asking whether authorities were adequately investigating what Khumalo and his team had uncovered during their anti-drug efforts.

Khumalo’s legal representative, advocate Zola Majavu, was critical of the conduct of the investigating officer.

Majavu said there had been prior communication and an arrangement for Khumalo to hand himself over, arguing that verification of his address could have been completed long before the court appearance.

He further noted that Khumalo’s co-accused was released on police bail without being subjected to the same process.

Majavu said he would lodge a formal complaint with the Independent Police Investigative Directorate regarding the conduct of officers involved in the matter.

Khumalo reaffirmed his commitment to continue his activism against drug abuse, vowing to keep working with SAPS officers “who want to do their work” in the fight for a drug-free South Africa.

INSIDE METROS

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

AVBOB STEP 12

Inside Metros G20 COJ Edition

JOZI MY JOZI

Inside Education Quarterly Print Edition

- Advertisement -

Latest article