By Charmaine Ndlela
Johannesburg’s new international transport interchange (JITI) is expected to provide about 169 trading stalls, giving small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) and formal and informal traders a chance to tap into economic opportunities, allowing them to participate directly in the economic activity generated by the interchange.
Implemented by the Johannesburg Development Agency (JDA) on behalf of the City, the JITI is a 50,000m² international long-distance and cross-border transport and shopping hub. It includes retail space, banks, ticket offices, food courts, informal trading areas, holding space for 648 taxis, ranking space for 158 taxis and ranking space for 20 buses, as well as CCTV and access control systems.
ALSO READ: Nel says 194 domestic-violence matters registered at Thulamahashe court in four months
In a statement on Monday, the City of Johannesburg said significant progress had been made towards the operationalisation of JITI.
The CoJ is seeking to establish it as a major transport and economic gateway connecting commuters, long-distance travellers, businesses and traders.
The City said JITI would create opportunities not only for traders but also for workers in security, cleaning, maintenance, administration, facility management and other supporting services.
The development comes as the City moves closer to concluding a contract with a managing service provider for the facility.
The tender process was concluded on 30 July 2026, while a letter of intent was issued to the successful bidder on 6 August.
City of Johannesburg Member of the Mayoral Committee (MMC) for Transport, Cllr Kenny Kunene, said the progress marked an important step towards bringing the facility into operation.
“JITI is an important investment in the future of Johannesburg. It brings together mobility, commerce and economic opportunity in one modern facility,” Kunene said.
“We are encouraged by the progress made and are focused on completing the remaining processes so that residents, commuters, businesses and long-distance travellers can benefit from this landmark development.”
Before the City can enter into the proposed contract, it must complete a Section 33 public participation process.
ALSO READ: WATCH: Welcoming arrest of fifth suspect in Ndlovu murder, Pappas raises ‘transparency’ concerns
The process, which is expected to run for at least 60 days and be completed by the end of October, will allow residents, businesses and other stakeholders to comment on the proposed contract.
It is required under Section 33(1)(a) of the Municipal Finance Management Act because the proposed agreement will create financial obligations extending beyond the three-year period covered by the annual budget for the financial year.
Once the statutory requirements have been completed, the City expects JITI to start operating before the end of the year.
Executive Director of the City’s Transport Department, Lutando Maboza said JITI would provide a platform for businesses and traders to benefit from the movement of people through the interchange.
“We are not simply opening a transport interchange, we are creating a platform that connects people, facilitates trade, supports SMMEs and unlocks new economic opportunities,” Maboza said.











